| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Finding a recipient; I want to be living liver donor?  (Read 2952 times)

Offline FlygirlSK

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
Finding a recipient; I want to be living liver donor?
« on: February 18, 2014, 02:46:19 PM »
I have thought about being a living donor for the past 3 years. I'm finally in a place where I can afford being away from work for up to 4 months.

...but it has been very challenging finding a program that allows altruistic living donations of liver. I was told it was not common practice, unlike living donations for kidneys. But I feel motivated more than ever to be a living liver donor finding that out.

Does anyone know a website or a way I can get in touch with those in need of a liver? I would prefer it to be in the DMV (DC, Maryland, Virginia) area but that is not a requirement. I have a clean bill of health, no history of liver disease and I don't drink.

I am not seeking any compensation. I just want to help. It seems like such a waste that just because it's not common, someone in need can't have access to what I would willingly give.

Offline leah.faith

• Top 100 Poster!
Re: Finding a recipient; I want to be living liver donor?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2014, 04:37:37 PM »
If you go to Facebook and type in the words "needs a liver" into the search bar, about a dozen groups pop up that are specifically people looking for a liver donor.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved