| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: OPTN/UNOS Board Approves New Living Donor Data Requirements  (Read 5864 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/news/newsDetail.asp?id=1482

OPTN/UNOS Board Approves Assessment of Organ Procurement Organization Performance, New Living Donor Data Requirements
The OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, at its semi-annual meeting June 28, approved an addition to the OPTN bylaws to promote organ procurement organization (OPO) performance improvement by identifying and analyzing key measures. The OPTN will use a statistical model developed by the Scientific Registry of Transplant Recipients that compares, for each OPO, the number of actual organs transplanted per donor to a statistically expected rate appropriate for their area.

"These metrics will allow the OPTN to assess OPO performance in a meaningful context, based on the distinct population each one serves," said OPTN/UNOS president Charles Alexander, RN, M.S.N., M.B.A. "We believe this will help us identify opportunities for OPOs to improve wherever possible and optimize the number of organs recovered and transplanted."

The statistical model for OPO monitoring will be "risk-adjusted." This means the statistical expectations will be calculated according to the specific characteristics of the donors in the OPO's donation service area compared to similar donor characteristics nationwide. The number of organs transplanted per donor will be compared to an expected number, adjusting for the donor characteristics at each OPO. OPOs with actual results significantly below expected results may undergo additional medical peer review to identify areas for potential improvement. The OPTN has used similar risk-adjusted outcome measures for nearly 20 years to assess transplant program performance.

Additionally, the Board adopted OPTN bylaw and policy amendments to enhance reporting of living donor follow-up data on the medical and psychosocial status of living donors. Under the new requirements, the transplant center performing the living donor organ recovery will be responsible for reporting this information. While the same hospital often performs both the donor and recipient surgery, there are times when the organ is recovered at one facility and transported to a different transplant hospital. This could involve paired donation transplants or transplants where the living donor is an adult and the recipient is a child.

As soon as it is available, an executive summary of all Board meeting actions will be posted to the OPTN web site at http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov. The site also contains summaries of proceedings from past OPTN/UNOS Board meetings.

The Organ Procurement and Transplantation Network (OPTN) is operated under contract with the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Health Resources and Services Administration, Division of Transplantation by the United Network for Organ Sharing (UNOS). The OPTN brings together medical professionals, transplant recipients and donor families to develop organ transplantation policy.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Certified Adult Nurse Practitioner/kidney donor
Re: OPTN/UNOS Board Approves New Living Donor Data Requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 03:45:28 PM »
John,

Can you give us more info on what the Board approved as far as living donor followup? This press release is rather vague. 

Thanks--and thanks for being a voice at the table for donors

Donna
Donna
Kidney donor, 1994    Independent donor advocate
MSN,  Adult Nurse Practitioner
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation
2006-2012:  Lifebanc Board of Directors

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:00:12 PM »
Incremental progress, Donna.  The policies and summary haven't been updated online yet, but I expect the details will be available soon.
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 12:57:12 PM »
FYI, the policies online haven't been updated yet, but the public comment and board reaction to the proposal, http://optn.transplant.hrsa.gov/PublicComment/pubcommentPropSub_279.pdf, was generally positive, so I don't expect or recall much, if any, change.
Proud grandpa!

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2011, 08:27:07 PM »
John,

What do you mean about incremental progress?  The policy for living donor data submission (which is mandatory) has been around since 1999 and the OPTN has had 5 years to develop living donation policies--cannot say their goal is donor safety when there are no policies, standards or safeguards.  Of course knowing if the donor dead or alive is important but there is so much more that should be known.  So what? Not they get credit for being compliant with policy if mark 'dead' or 'alive' rather than 'lost to followup.'  Sorry, John but I am not impressed.  Since 2003, the OPTN Living Donor Committee (in early years an ad hoc committee) has worked on the living donor data form and over again spinning their wheels with no final product because the surgeons will not allow it.  We have a right to expect high quality data.  Doubt they could set the bar any lower.  Not worthy of praise or applause. 

Donna
Kidney donor, 1994
Volunteer in organ donation and transplantation for 25 years
OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors 2003-2006
Lifebanc Board of Directors, 2006-present
Donna
2003-2006:  OPTN/UNOS Board of Directors, Ad Hoc Living Donor Committee, Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organs Committee, OPTN Working Group 2 on Living Donation

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 09:54:25 PM »
Dear Donna,

I, too, am disappointed at the pace of progress, and the general incomprehension and insensitivity to our demands for progress.  I am, however, more encouraged about the direction of progress than I was three years ago when I started, as well as how much more often I was not a sole advocate for donor dignity.
Proud grandpa!

Offline brenda

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2011, 03:06:22 PM »
I apologize for reading this a week after posting; I've been on vacation.  Are there things we living donors can do to assist in moving these policies forward?  I greatly appreciate the time several of you put in (Donna, John, Vicki, Fr. Pat, and Dr.Freeman).  What kind of support can I offer?  Letters, phone calls, other types of time?

I would like to help future donors get better care from better preparation to follow-up, and I would like to assist in any way that increases the research on long-term outcome.

Thanks again for all of your efforts,
Brenda

Offline Donna Luebke

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2011, 04:49:32 PM »
Clark

Good to you have a sense of progress. Hard to read at times how things are going.  Any suggestions on what donors can do moving forward to get more involved regionally and nationally.  I would appreciate at if at least the Co-chair position on the OPTN Living Donor Committee would be a living donor not someone like Amy Waterman.  Until the leadership of this committee is comprised of donors, it is not really about living donors. 

Donna
Donna

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online!
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved