| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: New here, Approved Donor/Matched, need advice please  (Read 3976 times)

Offline ASB

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
New here, Approved Donor/Matched, need advice please
« on: March 20, 2014, 05:24:57 AM »
I wish I had thought to look for a living donor forum (I'm a kidney donor) before now. I'm happy to have found this site and have enjoyed reading several threads so far.

I was matched with my recipient online. I just finished all testing and am approved. I count my blessings that my recipient is healthy and works hard to maintain the health of her kidneys. We get on well, which is nice too.

My question: I have plenty of information about restrictions after donation, but not much information for preparation before. I am very healthy, not on any regular medication and eat well - organic, low fat, no simple sugars, no soda, etc. -- But is there something more I can do to ensure my kidneys are in the best shape possible come the donation? After all, I'll be left with only one and I want the one going to her to be as healthy as possible too. I've steered clear of kidney cleanses, etc. because I certainly don't want to do anything to compromise them.

Any advice (or thread bumps too!) would be appreciated, especially about diet/certain beneficial foods.

Thank you all, Addie

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: New here, Approved Donor/Matched, need advice please
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 07:38:47 AM »
Dear Addilyn,

Congratulations on your good health, may it continue for many, many years. 

If your health is appropriate for a kidney donor, you are probably already eating a very good diet. 
I used to take NSAIDs, and stopped that some weeks prior to donation, since donors are advised to avoid them.   
Post-surgical recovery seems to go well for people who are physically fit.  You may wish to consider some daily exercise, including 'core' strengthening.  Strong abdominal muscles may make moving around easier after surgery.  Not easy, mind you, but easier. 
Keep us updated on your progress toward donation.

Love, elephant

Offline ASB

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:14:56 PM »
Thank you elephant! I ceased ibuprofen/NSAIDS as soon as I started testing.mI exercise 6 days a week, but I haven't done very much abdominal work. I appreciate the advice. I'll start that too!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 07:27:02 PM »
Dear "AddilynNY",
     Hi. It looks like you have the physical health part pretty well covered. I would be wise also to give careful consideration to financial matters. Some donors who have had more lengthy recoveries have found that the lost wages during recovery time caused serious problems as debts mounted. And of course some donors do have more serious complications from the donation surgery and are out of work for an even longer time. So it is good to think about the "what if...?" options in case financial problems arise. It is not legal to be paid for an organ, but it is legal to be reimbursed for all expenses and lost wages, and fund-raising activities can be used for that purpose. Some recipients organize such activities to help with financial problems of their donors. Many donors are able to get back to work fairly quickly, but others (despite the best preparations) take a longer time, so please do consider that possibility.
      Best wishes to you both. I donated 12 years ago and all went well.
   Fr. Pat

Offline ASB

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 06:08:00 PM »
Thank you Fr. Pat. That's very good advice. Fortunately, both my recipient and I are financially sound. We've discussed it and have agreed to a financial arrangement we're both comfortable with re: reimbursement for lost wages/medical costs related to my post-transplant recovery. I don't need the financial assistance, so I refused it at first. But I quickly realized my recipient's emotional need to try to repay me in some way. My recipient seems to feel much better since I agreed to allow her to cover some post-surgery medical costs, so I highly recommend this to any other donors who are financially sound and may be refusing assistance from a recipient who is able and willing to help. Let them help you, since you're helping them in such a profound way.

Thank you again Fr. Pat!
Addie

Offline peterduvall

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »
Addilyn

Congratulations - you are doing as wonderful thing.

I'm Peter, I donated a kidney to my father 7 years ago - all went pretty well w/ me and my Dad - screening, testing, during, and post surgery. I'm from NYC and had the work done at Columbia Presbyterian (they were great - incredible dr's)

One thing I would say it that when you give that kidney - it it not yours anymore, sounds silly, but I do now donors who have driven themselves and recipients nuts checking up and seeing if the recipient was leading a healthy life, etc, let it go.

Post donation - there really isnt too much you need to do - stay hydrated, avoid excessive use of NSAIDS (nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)......like most anything a little in moderation will not hurt you, no muy thai fighting, etc.

https://livingdonorsonline.org/kidney/kidney_livewithone.htm

and the most important thing - YEARLY PHYSICALS.

good luck and please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Peter

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved