| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: GFR test results ... Please Read!!!  (Read 8051 times)

anikib

GFR test results ... Please Read!!!
« on: July 08, 2011, 01:32:55 PM »
Hello,

I have never posted here before, but I have read lots and you are all very knowledgeable, so I am hoping someone can answer a question for me about the GFR test.

I was trying to be a live donor for a friend of mine, but in the final tests when the did the Nuclear Medicine GFR, I was told that my filter range was too low. The normal range for a adult they said was between 85-125. Mine was at 73, so I was ruled out.

My question is this...  I got my test results back today and when I was looking over them, down where it says "TEST" then on the next line it says "EXAM" and it has all the information, it says   "HISTORY" :48-year old woman, kidney donor..  The problem is, I am 38, not 48.  Would this have changed my results and made them lower than they actually were??

This was the only thing keeping me from donating, should I try to get a second opinion on this test?  I am pretty sure they wont do it because it is so expensive, but, you never know!

Thank you for any help at all...

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: GFR test results ... Please Read!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 02:10:14 PM »
Using creatinine alone and putting it into the GFR calculator age is definitely a factor. In the nuclear study I am not sure but you should certainly ask because if you are below normal limits you need to see a doctor to have this addressed. They may not have to do the test over but just put in the correct calculations based on age. Make sure your year of birth is correct in the system .

Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

anikib

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 02:33:47 PM »
Thanks for your reply... I could use all the help I could get on this one. On everything else it looks like my age and birth date is correct. But just on this test, under the history, it looks like they put me 10 years older and I don't know if it was a typo or if the entered it into the system wrong.  I guess I don't want to make something out of nothing, since they have already said I can't donate.. I mean who am I to try to prove the experts wrong.. :-[

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 03:28:05 PM »
Sherri has given you sound advice to check out the numbers with your own doctor. Function actually declines with age, so the fact that you are younger than what they show makes it something worth checking.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 04:00:57 PM »
I totally agree with Sherri.  I had something similar to this happen to me.  I didn't have to do the nuclear test but they were about to schedule it because I was "overcollecting" on my 24 hour urine capture.  I told my coordinator that my height was different than what was listed (they had me a foot taller than I really am).  She got that corrected and they had to recalculate my numbers (I did NOT have to re-take the test because of this).  But when my coordinator was reviewing the results with me she used the number that was calculated with my incorrect height.  I tried to politely but firmly explain this to her but she thought I was wrong.  In the end, she didn't need to order the nuclear test because she found out she had indeed pulled the wrong results.  When using all my correct information, I was in the normal range.

If I were you, I'd call my coordinator and discuss it with him/her (and it may require you getting firm with them-be your own advocate and ask what your numbers would be if they had factored in your correct age).  It may be worth you double checking all the other input (your height, weight, gender, etc.) to make sure they didn't input anything else incorrectly.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

anikib

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 11:26:28 PM »
I double checked everything else and as far as I can see, that is the only place they made a mistake. Hopefully, it will be to my advantage.  I'll have to wait until Monday to get a hold of anyone. I'm sure the coordinator is off for the weekend.

anikib

« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 09:25:11 PM »
First let me start by saying thank you for your responses to my question, as you are all a blessing.  I called my coordinator on Monday to let her know that the age was wrong on my test by 10 years, not only was she a little short with me, but she also said, it didn't make any difference before I finished my sentence. She said she would just go in and change it to the correct age.. ??? Really..  I said that it was fine that it didn't make a difference in donating (even though if it changes my number...) ,however, I needed to make sure for my own well being, as I was going to be going over these results with my GP. She told me that she would check in to it and get back to me.  That was first thing Monday morning and I haven't heard anything since. How much time should I give her? Honestly, you would think since she is dealing with lives she would be more on top of things. I guess I'm just a little frustrated.. I don't know how long these things normally take, should I give them through the weekend, or just go above her and call the Nephrologist?

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 09:55:21 PM »
Well this nurse certainly let you know how things would be if you did become her patient. Hospitals screen potential donors to make sure they qualify to be "good" donors. Donors should screen hospitals to make sure they would make good providers. I guess this nurse gave you a hint at what to expect if you decide to become a patient at their institution or recommend someone to test at their center.

You can email her with your request and cc her supervisor or nephrologist to make sure you get an answer. Let them know that through the testing process it was discovered that your GFR is low and it is imperative that you look into this for your own health. Or you can contact your GP and let him/her know what happened during the testing process. You can ask them to write a letter asking for accurate test results so he/she can pursue how to treat you if you really do have a low GFR.

You can also share this incident with your recipient so they are aware of how potential donors are being treated. This may impact the next person who comes forward to test.

Let us know how everything goes.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved