| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: UK: The best man brings donor joy to bride  (Read 3021 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
UK: The best man brings donor joy to bride
« on: July 09, 2011, 04:26:24 PM »
http://www.thisishullandeastriding.co.uk/best-man-brings-donor-joy-bride/story-12913618-detail/story.html

The best man brings donor joy to bride

A BRIDE-TO-BE who desperately needs a kidney transplant has spoken of her joy after her fiancé's best man was found to be a match.

Leanne Kennedy has had kidney disease for most of her life and needs dialysis every day.

She was diagnosed with kidney failure in 2007 and is constantly tired.

But Leanne, 30, who is due to get married in Cyprus in September, has recently found out best man Stuart Kilgannon is a match and he will donate a kidney to her in January.

It comes after figures show almost 200 people in East Yorkshire desperately need a transplant.

Leanne, of east Hull, said: "I am elated.

"I can't believe it because the chances of Stuart being a match were so slim.

"He is my hero.

"Until I'm in that gown going down to theatre, I don't think it will sink in. It has been tough because, when you go on the list, every time your phone rings you think it's that call."

Leanne's fiancé, Shaun Stefanovic, 36, and other family members were initially tested, but they were not found to be a match.

Leanne said Stuart was not tested sooner because he did not realise how poorly she was.

Without a kidney transplant, Leanne said she would continue to struggle physically. Without dialysis, she would die.

She said: "I don't think Stuart realised that someone who is alive could donate a kidney.

"He knew I was poorly but not how poorly because I don't advertise it.

"When he realised, he offered to be tested straight away.

"I will be eternally grateful.

"I will be able to get on with my life and plan a family.

"I'm one of the lucky ones. Some people have been on the waiting list for 10 years."

Stuart, 38, of Beverley, remained modest about donating a kidney to Leanne.

He said: "I have friends who are fighting in Afghanistan and, to me, they are heroes.

"I have told Leanne and Shaun their first child has to be named Stuart junior.

"I didn't realise how poorly Leanne was until she told us.

"I didn't think I would be a match, but I am and it's great.

"Leanne and Shaun can stop worrying and plan their wedding, and it's all good."

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional