| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Transplant Games  (Read 9722 times)

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Transplant Games
« on: June 30, 2014, 07:11:39 PM »
Hi all. In early July I'll be taking part in the "Transplant Games of America" in Houston, Texas, as a member of "Team Liberty" of the Metro Ny-NJ-Conn. area, running the 5k and the 1,500 meter races. I was wondering if anybody else on this board will be going, and if so from which team? In past games there have usually been over a hundred living donors participating, whioch is a very nice experience. (info at www.transplantgamesofamerica.org) Let me know if you'll be there.
   Fr. Pat

Offline PastorJeff

• Top 25 Poster!
  • Donated non-directed on September 5, 2012 at UCSF
Re: Transplant Games
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2014, 09:57:47 AM »
Pat,

Have a great time at the games!  Sorry I won't be pulling for your team but our NORCAL folks.   ;)

Offline jtopper

• Conversationalist
  • Anonymous Kidney Donor - November 2004
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 02:26:49 PM »
Hi Friar Pat,

I just emailed you a personal message. But I will be going and look forward to finally meeting you.

Jamie Topper
Team Norcal

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2014, 08:28:16 PM »
Dear Jamie,
     That's great! We'll be competing "against" each other, but at the Transplant Games EVERYBODY wins!
     Pastor Jeff, Jamie is likewise a non-directed donor like you and me, so you'll have all the more reason to root for us.
      "Team Liberty" will have 90 people going, including 7 living donors, and we got our snazzy uniforms yesterday.
                    Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 06:57:45 PM »
     I'm writing from Houston, Texas (free computer in the hotel lobby!). Today is the last of the 4 event-filled days of the Transplant Games. The basketball and volleyball finals were this morning (with my "Team Liberty" winning the bronze medal), and we will have the gala closing celebration tonight before passing the torch to Cleveland, Ohio for the next Games in 2016. I don't have the final statistics, but more than 2,400 people registered, and I would guess that about 200 are living donors. I'll get the final numbers later. It has been so nice getting together with other living donors, including a number of non-directed donors, and it is such a delight to see the recipients running, playing, swimming and enjoying life. There was even a 25-yard "dash" for the transplant recipients under 5 years of age, which brought tears of joy to many as the medals were awarded.
     I finished the 5k race along with hundreds of others (despite the Houston heat and humidity) and yesterday won the Gold Medal in the old-fogies division of the 1,500 meter race.  Events ranged from shot-put to ballroom dancing. Wonderful days.
     I put in the recommendation that space be made at the next Games ceremonies to recognize the sufferings and sacrifices of the living donors who have had complications and problems, as this year there was, I think, too much attention only to the success stories.
     Best wishes to all.
   Fr. Pat

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2014, 08:23:44 AM »
Dear Fr Pat,

Thanks for working to help inspire others to stay fit.   

Love, elephant

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2014, 01:40:28 PM »
Dear Fr Pat - We stayed at the same accommodations and it was nice to meet you.   Your uniforms were indeed snazzy and the 2014 tiaras/crowns at the Opening and Closing Ceremonies stood out and showed beautifully.  I also got to see you awarded your medal.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2014, 08:19:01 AM »
Dear Nancy,
     Yes, it was a great time. A nice video montage of Team Liberty at the Games (about 12 minutes) has been posted at www.youtube.com under the title:  Team Liberty 2014 Video Montage. No commentary, but anyone viewing it will get the ideas. Some explanations for those who were not at the Games but will watch the video:
--- In a spirit of fun some Teams add gimmicks to their uniforms, so often the Team Liberty folks are wearing foam Statue of Liberty crown and Times Square blinking glasses (very elegant). We even had one member dressed as Miss Liberty.
--- There is one photo of me just with 5 other living donors from Team Liberty.
--- The blind pianist/singer is Scott Macintyre of American Idol who received a kidney transplant from the wife of his music teacher. He has released a CD of songs for the Games titles "Songs of Hope" which can be purchased on line.
--- The lady with the 3 kids (one without hair) are the family of a NJ police officer whose organs were transplanted after death. Team Liberty helped them get to the games to see the living results of such gifts.
    best wishes,
        Fr. Pat

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:30:08 AM »
     It took a while, but I finally got the attendance data from the 2014 "Transplant Games" in Houston:
--- 141 living donors actually took part in the athletic events. I don't know how many other living donors attended without competing
--- a total of 3,764 persons registered (recipients, living donors, donor families, supporters, professionals). This is more than double the number who took part in the 2012 Games!
       So, start planning for 2016 in Cleveland, Ohio!
     Fr. Pat

Offline Amberwoo

• Top 100 Poster!
    • My Kidney Blog
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 10:06:09 AM »
I think the transplant games sound exciting.  Hopefully by 2016 I can convince my recipient (my boyfriend) to go with me and participate!
Donated Kidney on 05/22/2014
My Experience- http://kidneydonorthoughts.blogspot.com/

Offline lecheromuerto

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2014, 05:05:34 PM »
I just donated on Halloween. I was an avid distance runner and am now ready to slowly get back into the training. I am VERY interested in participating in the transplant games! Any advice for me? I understand there are many of you out there who still train at a high level and would love to connect with some of you.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2014, 06:08:29 PM »
     It will be a while before the organization and planning starts for the 2016 Games in Cleveland, but if you go to the Games website www.transplantgamesofamerica.org you should be able to find out which is the closest State, regional or local team is closest to you, and their contact information. Some Teams stay in touch and get together during the time between Games and do fund-raising and educational activities.
     If you go to www.youtube.com and search under "U.S. Transplant Games", "Transplant Games of America", Transplant Games 2014...2012, etc." you'll find a number of short and long videos from past Games.
    Fr. Pat

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional