| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: UNDERSTANDING DOCTORS' ETHICAL CHALLENGES AS ROLE VIRTUE CONFLICTS  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1467-8519.2011.01893.x/abstract

UNDERSTANDING DOCTORS' ETHICAL CHALLENGES AS ROLE VIRTUE CONFLICTS
ROSALIND MCDOUGALL
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2011
DOI: 10.1111/j.1467-8519.2011.01893.x
Bioethics
Early View (Online Version of Record published before inclusion in an issue)

ABSTRACT
This paper argues that doctors' ethical challenges can be usefully conceptualised as role virtue conflicts. The hospital environment requires doctors to be simultaneously good doctors, good team members, good learners and good employees. I articulate a possible set of role virtues for each of these four roles, as a basis for a virtue ethics approach to analysing doctors' ethical challenges. Using one junior doctor's story, I argue that understanding doctors' ethical challenges as role virtue conflicts enables recognition of important moral considerations that are overlooked by other approaches to ethical analysis.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved