| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Initial Development of a Care System for Living Donors, Based on Experience Perc  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
http://www.stti.iupui.edu/pp07/congress11/Tamura_Sachiko.pdf

Initial Development of a Care System for
Living Donors, Based on Experience
Perceptions by Donors in Kidney Transplants
Sachiko Tamura, Ph.D., R.N.
Keiko Shintani, Ph.D., R.N.

The overall concept of the experience we obtained was. "Never mind about me."

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline livingdonor101

• Top 50 poster!
    • Living Donor 101
There's actually some interesting stuff in here.

1. The average age of the donor is much higher in Japan (at least 50) than in the US (40yoa).
2. 54% of LDs were parent (61% were mothers) to the recipient in Japan while the biggest chunk in the US is sibling, at not even 25%. Meanwhile, only approximately 13% of parents donate to their child in the US.

On the other hand:

1. I'm quite cautious about anything only based on 20 subjects.
2. The parent-child dynamic is different than another other relationship. It's inappropriate (and damaging) to apply it to any other donor-recipient situation.

BUT..... I'm liking this conclusion:

Donors have always been about sacrificing themselves, playing down their role. During the initial development of a care system for living donors, it is important to pay as much as attention to donors as to recipients. In this way, they will begin to be able to see themselves as patients and concentrate on their donor experience as another patient, without negating themselves.

www.livingdonor101.com - Where Living Donors Matter Most.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved