| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Woman In Need Of Kidney Finds Perfect Match In Checkout Line  (Read 2200 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Woman In Need Of Kidney Finds Perfect Match In Checkout Line
« on: January 28, 2015, 09:37:41 AM »
http://www.cbs12.com/news/top-stories/stories/vid_22745.shtml

Woman In Need Of Kidney Finds Perfect Match In Checkout Line
Story by LC Chandler

Michelle Davis and Lorene Hansen are happy and recovering just one week after a kidney transplant.

The two met while Davis was working at the Lee County Publix grocery store.

"Lorene just came through my line one day," recalled Davis. "And she said, 'what's your blood type?' And I was like, 'God this lady is weird,' ya know? And I was like, O-positive. And she gives me a high-five, and she's like, 'mine too!' And I was like, 'okay.' I didn't really know what she was leading up to."

Hansen is a nurse at Phoebe Sumter Medical Center and is a frequent customer at Davis' store.

After noticing that Davis had a dialysis catheter, she decided to help.

"She goes, do you need a kidney transplant? I was like, yes ma'am," said Davis. "And she goes, here's my name and number. Call me and let me know what I need to do to give you a kidney."

"She gave me the number, I called Piedmont. They did a cross match of our blood and, if you can believe it, we're not even relatives, we're a perfect cross-match," Hansen said.

Davis had been a in need of a kidney since June 2014.

"In 2005, I had my first kidney transplant by a deceased donor. And, it lasted about nine and a half years, when the normal is about five years for a deceased donor."

So, Hansen researched live kidney donation, which usually allows the recipient a full life, without a functional limit.

As a mother of six and grandmother of 10, Hansen's maternal instinct kicked in.

"She's the same age as one of my youngest daughters," said Hansen. "So, the things that my youngest daughter always takes for granted, and always enjoys, Michelle will get to do those same things too."

Davis will go back to school soon as a pre-med student at Darton State College. She hopes to become an anesthesiologist.

She also hopes that more people will consider becoming living donors.

"If more people were just aware of how simple it is to give an organ and help save someone's life, literally it would be more plausible," said Davis.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved