| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Supplements?  (Read 3341 times)

Offline dtwbcs

• Top 200 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Supplements?
« on: May 08, 2015, 12:17:28 PM »
What about protein supplements and or exercising ?. I want to try and gain some muscle&endurance  back that I lost.Neupharolgist just says to watch my protein.This thang hit me "hard" . some days I still get tired quickly and go home and take a nap.When I awake I feel somewhat better again.So was thinking about trying to exercise now.Just now have started to feel better in the mornings;but by time i get home am wiped out.Common??

Glad 2 stumble onto this site

Danny

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Supplements?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2015, 01:01:55 PM »
Dear Danny,

I was unusually fatigued for a couple of months after donating,  I was back to my workouts pretty fast, but added time and intensity slowly.  I was especially cautious with stressing the abdomen for a while.  But now I never think about that at all!

Make sure to get some extra sleep.  In the first weeks after donation, I slept a lot (over 12 hours a day!) and never did go back to less than 8 or 9. 

I don't believe that eating huge amounts of protein will make you stronger or healthier whether you are a donor or not.  I'm sure the nephrologist is not suggesting eating too little protein, but suggesting not overeating protein.  I've never eaten a high protein diet, yet I had the endurance to run a couple of marathons, and the strength to bring home a couple of powerlifting trophies. 

Love, elephant

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional