| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: being physically active after donation  (Read 3912 times)

Offline scottlapoint

• Conversationalist
  • I'm new!
being physically active after donation
« on: July 27, 2020, 10:20:00 PM »
Hello!  I was an avid cycling before donating a kidney in 2017.  Now, three years post-surgery, I feel as though I've lost a step or two (or is that pedal stroke?), and I don't have the stamina or energy that I used to.  I eat healthy, sleep well, and generally am in good shape.  Looking for any insights that other donors can share.  Thanks!

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
Re: being physically active after donation
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2020, 01:43:24 PM »
Some living kidney donors have reported fatigue, sometimes pretty severe, suggesting there might be adrenal insufficiency. The adrenal glands sits on top of each kidney and can be impacted by the donation surgery. Here's an example: https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00251836

You might check a site like WebMD to see if your symptoms match up with Addison's disease/adrenal insufficiency. In any event, a visit to a doctor sounds like it would be helpful to identify the source.
Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline Sunshine21795

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 09:53:44 PM »
Hi Scottlapoint and Michael,
I am quite interested in this discussion, I donated my left kidney to my good friend July 15th this year and was wondering when I could start doing my usual exercise again (run, bike and some weights for work, I'm a medic). I see my surgeon this Fri (Aug 7th)and am trying to put together a list of what I need to ask. I'm sorry to hear you don't have your same energy and vigour Scottlapoint, I know I am early in my recovery but I'm worried that I will stay this tired from now on (I'm a 55 yr old female). Michael, I read the study you posted the link for, and it says there are no results posted. There can be any number of reasons for this, but it sure would have been nice to see what the researchers found! I'll mention the study and ask my surgeon for a little more detail on the left adrenal gland . Thank you for the information, and best of luck Scottlapoint!
Shirley
Happy to have donated left kidney to a wonderful friend July 15/20 @ St Joseph's Hospital, Hamilton ON Canada 😊

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2020, 02:45:50 AM »
You might want to check the FaceBook page of "Kidney Donor Athletes" and perhaps ask how long it took them to get active again, and whether they might have any tips or advice.

Offline Michael

• Founder of LDO
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
    • Living Donors Online
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 03:09:48 PM »
Here's another study to look at: https://atcmeetingabstracts.com/abstract/left-sided-donor-nephrectomy-predisposes-living-kidney-donors-to-latent-adrenal-insufficiency-with-symptoms-of-fatigue-and-inferior-quality-of-life/

Also, if you search "adrenal insufficiency living kidney donor" you'll get a selection of studies.

Any update on how you're feeling?

Michael
Living Donors Online
Our mission: to improve the living donation experience

Offline AdrianFR

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2020, 06:42:13 PM »
Before I donated a kidney almost 5 years ago I was working out with weights and running 5 times per week.

I took me a good 6-9 months before I could work out at pre-surgery intensity.
Prior to this I was able to work out at much lower intensity.

I hope this helps.

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional