| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Stranger from Facebook gives a kidney to save another's life  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Stranger from Facebook gives a kidney to save another's life
« on: December 31, 2011, 02:07:12 PM »

ktla.com

Stranger from Facebook gives a kidney to save another's life

Transplant goes well, organ reported healthy and working

Marni Hughes

Q13 FOX News reporter

8:18 PM PST, December 30, 2011

SEATTLE

Facebook connects millions of people every day. But for one local man, the social website saved his life.

And he has a total stranger to thank.

At her hospital bed at the University of Washington Medical Center, Allie Carr, 26, is recovering from surgery.  “I feel pretty good considering I just had a vital organ taken out of me," she joked.

Carr donated her kidney to a man she met just five months ago on Facebook.

The man’s name was Dan Garrett – and the page read simply, “My husband needs a new kidney.”

“We'd gone through several people in the family, so we'd run out of that, and it was the next thing I could think to do," said Megin Garrett, Dan’s wife. The couple live in Yelm, as does Carr.

"I saw it (the post), I knew it was something i had to do," Carr said. "That was Thursday and by Friday I was getting tested."

Carr and Dan Garrett were a match.

And last Wednesday, Carr gave the Garretts one of her kidneys.

Dan Garrett is doing well, and the kidney is healthy and working.

"She's (Carr’s) really amazing, to go to a stranger to give someone a piece of yourself literally and she's given me and Dan a chance to have a normal life, a honeymoon, having children," Megin Garrett said.

Carr was modest about providing a life-saving gift.

"I wanted to do something meaningful, and if I could give this to them, then I think that everyone should consider it."

ktla.com/news/nationworld/kcpq-stranger-gives-a-kidney-to-save-anothers-life-20111230,0,5786206.story
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional