| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: 2 1/2 weeks post surgery: NAUSEA and vomiting  (Read 11778 times)

Offline willis_chavonn

• Top 100 Poster!
2 1/2 weeks post surgery: NAUSEA and vomiting
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:48:16 PM »
Hello all, I donated a kidney to my father 2 1/2 weeks ago.All went well for us both. I was feeling great other than the gas pains and soreness from incisions. My appetite was back 3 or 4 days after surgery...I thought. I'm back nausea, don't have a taste for any food. I wanted to know if this is common or had been common for any of u. I think I might've rushed back into eating heavier foods too quick because my coordinator told me before surgery that I wouldn't have an appetite approximately 3 weeks after surgery. I hate feeling this way. I have popcicles since that's what they gave me in hospital . Hopefully those work again. I'm afraid to eat anything without throwing it up.:/(

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: 2 1/2 weeks post surgery: NAUSEA and vomiting
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2013, 02:04:01 AM »
If it were me I would call the transplant team and let them know the symptoms.
Do you have any fever? Are you getting enough fluids?
There's no reason not to check in and have the team decide what is best for you.
It seems that you're suffering more than you should, but other donors can speak from experience, whether this is typical or unusual.
Better to be on the safe side.
Take care  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 07:41:38 AM »
Dear Willis,
First of all congratulations to you and your beloved father.

I would call the doctor, there is no reason to suffer. I'm sure you can get help. 

As for me, I did not eat very much for a couple of weeks and lost over 10lbs after donation.  But I never threw up.   (Unfortunately I have gained it back.)

If you are using a narcotic pain killer that could also be causing nausea.

love, elephant

Offline willis_chavonn

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2013, 11:36:47 AM »
Thanks everyone.. I was diagnosed with a sinus infection. That was causing all these symptoms. My family physician put me on an antibiotic and Claritin. I've been on these meds for 2 days and I feel my body normalizing. I'm back eating, not nauseous, and more energetic. I'm not having any pains from the surgery or incisions I was having bad headaches and nauseaous and felt like I had cold and flu like sumpyoms(cold, sluggish, weak) . My body was telling me something . I didn't think it was associated with the surgery because like I said its 2 1/2 weeks post surgery and I was gone a week afterwards. Appetite had picked back up, energy was normal, and was out walking for exercise. Hopefully this continues to work. I feel so much better now thst I've been taking the antibiotic and other prescriptions... Thanks so much everyone:))

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional