| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Surgery on April 23rd  (Read 6342 times)

Offline Dirty Rocker

• Top 50 poster!
Surgery on April 23rd
« on: April 19, 2013, 01:14:25 AM »
So, after all of the waiting and hoping, we finally got our 2nd crossmatch results today, and we are still compatible (my recipient developed another antibody that the immunologist wanted to screen more carefully) and we are going ahead with surgery on the 23rd - this Tuesday.

This has truly been one of the most amazing experiences I have ever had the priviledge of being a part of. When I explain it to people, the analogy I give is, it's like helping a stranger that is in need- helping a lady carry her groceries, holding the door for someone in the rain, or volunteering your time, only times a thousand. I'm elated that I can help my recipient in such a huge way. Of course, I am feeling a million different emotions right now. I'm nervous, anxious, happy, proud, humbled, and in awe of it all. I feel like I am the lucky one, because I get the pleasure of giving such an amazing gift.

This message board has been so kind and informative - it was really helpful in a lot of ways throughout the first phase of this process, and I have no doubt there will be kind words for our recovery process as well! A couple of people have suggested keeping a diary, but we already do that here - with lots of positive feedback.

I've read several new posts from people that are still trying to decide if donation is something they can do, so I thought I would share the point when I was able to make that decision. I got to thinking about what donation is all about - doing something selfless so that someone else can have the benefit. I've always liked to volunteer my time for things I believe in. Many people give their time or money to great organizations and people, but how often is it that you are presented with an opportunity to change someone's life for the better in such a tangible way? The point when I made the decision (after lots and lots and lots of research. Then some more research. Then some thinking. Then some more research) was when I realized that I was willing to take the risks that come with donation in exchange for being part of something much bigger than myself. Not many people are presented with an opportunity to do so much good for someone who is suffering, and some people can't donate for health and other various reasons (it's okay if donation is just not for you - it's a lifelong decision for you!). I realized that, in 20 years, I wanted to know that I did the best I could to help someone that needed it. I knew that we were blood type compatible, and I had done my homework (the more you understand about the process, the easier it will be to know if donation is right for you) so I put the rest in God's hands and started the screening process.

To everyone just starting the process - good luck on your journey. Educate yourself before you ask yourself if you can really do this - it will make that question a lot easier to answer.

To everyone who has been through it - thank you for all of your kind words and all of your experiences! Seeing the good and the trying experiences helped me see the big picture. It was more comforting to read real experiences from living donors than anything the transplant team said. Please keep sharing!
Donated Left Kidney to a close friend on 4/23/2013
Baylor All Saints Medical Center in Fort Worth, TX

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
Re: Surgery on April 23rd
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2013, 02:50:51 AM »
What a great, uplifting post! Best wishes to you - and your recipient. Will be thinking of you on Tuesday and look for updates! Thank you for saving a kidney patient.  :)
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2013, 07:57:17 AM »
Dear Rocker,

I will also be looking forward to hearing about your donation.  It is a privilege -  there are many people who would like to donate but are not able. 

This might sound odd, but I actually liked the morning of surgery.  I was relaxed and attentive and found it all very interesting right up to the time when they knocked me out.  It was not fun when I woke up again, but seeing Daddy looking great made up for a lot!

Love, elephant

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »
     Best wishes and prayers for you both! Please keep us informed.
               Fr. Pat

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2013, 08:54:18 PM »
After your text, I thought I better hop on here & see what I've missed.  :D I agree with Elephant! I so enjoyed the morning of surgery, crazy as that sounds. I knew that the gift I was giving would change the life of not just my recipient, but his entire family. And I felt God had actually given me the gift by allowing me the privilege of getting a glimpse of Him changing those lives. I just felt I was the conduit by which He chose to do that. You said exactly how I felt-we get to be a part of something so much bigger than ourselves.

I am so excited for you! Keep me posted & hopefully I'll get to see you Thursday! Pretty soon and you'll be on the other side. Isn't that a great feeling?!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2013, 09:32:42 PM »
Just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers along with all involved.  My usual line at this point is now go kick butt....  In this case -  just soak in the miracle of the experience and the profoundness of such a simple act.  I realize everyone's experience and journey is different but that was what I was so blessed and and amazed by.

Just know prayers surround you as you move forward.
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Dirty Rocker

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:31:51 AM »
 We made it through surgery!!  I am feeling great, except for the gas. My pain was excruciating at first, but once they got it under control, its been pretty tolerable. I got up and walked around the ward around 5 or so this afternoon with very little difficulty. Just lots and lots of pressure / tension around my belly. That's been getting better hour by hour.

They took me down to the OR around 9 am, mine was supposed to start 9:45. My surgeon had a few emergencies this morning, so they had already sent my recipient down before they even put me under. But the procedure went well for both of us, so definitely worth the wait.

My recipient's surgeon stopped by my room when he was done to let me know Eric was doing great. Then a couple nurses came by and told me he already had urine output!! So after they got his pain under control, I walked down to ICU to see him. He looks great! They've already.  emtiped his urine container twice! Hopefully I'll be up and moving more tomorrow. There is a possibility I can go home tomorrow or Thursday. 

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 02:32:32 AM »
That's fabulous news - so glad for you both!
Doing a Happy Kidney Dance here!!  ;D
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline SWB

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 09:48:56 AM »
Awesome news!!!
Scott
Donated right kidney to uncle
October 18, 2012 at University of Alabama (UAB)

Offline Dirty Rocker

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2013, 01:25:53 AM »
Well, I'm home now, relaxing. Had a rough night last night from the gas pains, but managed to get a little sleep sitting up. After ahem, expelling, some of the gas, I felt much better, and they let me go home. My surgeon said that I was a very rare case, most patients don't walk a mile around the ward on the day of surgery! I am thrilled to report that my recipient now has excellent kidney function, and is also doing exceptionally well. He is expected to be released tomorrow.

Thank you all for the support and kind words! This has been such a positive experience for all of us.

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2013, 07:52:40 AM »
Dear Rocker,

That is wonderful news! Glory be to God!

Remember you only have one chance to heal properly, do obey the lifting restrictions. I found walking to be really helpful, and sleeping as much as possible.

Love, elephant

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2013, 12:10:15 PM »
Follow EVERY SINGLE direction the Transplant and Surgical Team gave you.  And if you aren't sure, ASK....and don't settle for something you can't understand.....GET clear instructions.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Offline Dirty Rocker

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2013, 01:26:47 PM »
Thank you guys! I am taking it easy, for sure. I am blessed to have a wonderful family that has traveled 1000 miles to take care of me while I'm recovering, so I don't have to lift a finger. They have really been awesome throughout this process. My boss has also been very supportive, so I'm certain that when I return to work, I will have plenty of help there too.

My belly is HUGE! Of course it helps me to support my belly when I walk around, so if you didn't know better, you'd think I was pregnant, LOL. My back is a little sore from hunching forward, and my belly is still pretty tight, but other than that, the pain has mostly subsided to a dull ache.

My recipient goes for his first labs today, hopefully everything is still working great. He was able to go home yesterday.  :)

On a bit of a side note, mom noticed her ankles were a bit swollen yesterday, so of course I made sure shes had her kidney function checked recently (she has it checked every 6 months because of her blood pressure) and she asked me if I was the 'kidney police ' now. I said Heck yeah, you guys gotta take care of them, I don't have any more to give out! We had a good laugh, and she promised to take care of herself (she does that anyway) .

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 08:06:55 AM »
Dear Rocker,

Don't worry, it will go down eventually.  After two years my scar is barely visible.  But I did have a "shelf" above the scar for many months. 

Love, elephant

Offline Dirty Rocker

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 01:33:40 PM »
Thanks, Elephant. They didn't really tell me how long to expect swelling. I won't expect too much for a couple months.

Everything is healing well, it gets a little better each day. It's tough being an extremely impatient person through all of this, but I am working on it, with the grace of God. I have learned/am learning so much through this experience.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional