| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: McAllen kidney donor posthumously recognized  (Read 3477 times)

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
McAllen kidney donor posthumously recognized
« on: May 14, 2011, 05:51:28 AM »
McAllen kidney donor posthumously recognized

May 13, 2011 10:35 PM
Naxiely Lopez
McALLEN — A McAllen teacher who died in February after donating a kidney to her mother was posthumously recognized Friday afternoon for her courageous act. 

Administrators and staff at Las Palmas Health Care Center, 1301 East Quebec Avenue, invited the family of Myra Lee Martinez, a McAllen Memorial teacher and graduate, to attend their nursing home week festivities, during which they celebrated life, giving and helping.

“Mayra Lee Martinez is a champion of courage,” said Administrator Hari Namboodiri. “She knew the risk, and she still wanted to give her kidney to her mother.”

Martinez underwent a kidney transplant in San Antonio to help her mother, who was undergoing dialysis after falling ill a year before. The 28-year-old woman survived the procedure, but died 11 days after from complications.

“I thank her because she was a hero,” her mother Delia Martinez said. “She was an angel that we will miss greatly, but soon we will be with her. We didn’t think this was going to happen, but things happen for a reason.”

Namboodari, who contacted the family after reading an article in The Monitor, said he made at least 15 calls before getting in touch with them. He persevered, he said, because he felt it was important to recognize her. Former U.S. Rep Enrique “Kika” de la Garza, who represented the 15th congressional district from 1965 to 1997, presented a plaque to Martinez’ mother.   

“Without risks, there’s no success,” Namboodiri said. “We have to take risks. That’s what we’re here for. You live one life — live it with purpose. Do something to help others. That is why we are here — to help people.”

Manuela Saucedo, a resident who celebrated 103 years of life, also was recognized. Saucedo, who was born in General Teran, Mexico, in 1908, was an elementary school teacher before moving to the United States and becoming a citizen.

She credits her longevity to instructions in a Spanish poem she taught to her students. Roughly translated, it reads: Keep your head up high. Fill your lungs with deeps breaths, and keep your body positioned correctly. Do this and you will have a happy life with joy in your soul.

Nearly 20 employees who served the business for more than 10  years — some had been with the company for more than 20 years — also were presented with a plaque.

“This is the only facility in 2010 in South Texas that received the American Health Care Association National Quality Award,” Namboodiri said. “I’m not bragging about our facility. I’m bragging about our employees. They are the key partners that can make it or break it.”

The administrator also thanked family members who visit relatives and offer suggestions, saying they were the backbone of the nursing home.

“I’m very sad for what happened to my daughter,” Martinez’s mother told the audience. “But at the same time, I’m happy because she’s in heaven for what she did for me. I thank her and I thank you for being here with my family.”

Naxiely Lopez covers law enforcement and general assignments for The Monitor. She can be reached at (956) 683-4434.

http://www.themonitor.com/news/mcallen-50460-recognized-donor.html
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved