| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: My niece recipient died........  (Read 9121 times)

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
My niece recipient died........
« on: June 30, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
10 days ago at work at the U Wi Hospital.  She was a lung transplant coordinator, was in a meeting but had a lot of pressure in her chest.  She was on her way to the ER when she collapsed, they were unable to resusatate her in a world class hospital.  They feel it as an embolism.  She had suffered some valve damage when diagnosed with kidney failure because she had IgA neuopathy, her kidneys had stopped functioning, and she had 50 lbs of fluid in her body causing heart failure.  The valve perhaps released a clot.  She went suddenly.

Her fist transplant came from a close family friend, he beat me out with a 5/6 match, I was 4/6.  That transplant lasted her 9 years. She was a surgical nurse, during that time and was taking classes for her Masters degree.  After getting her Masters, and then getting my kidney, she moved into the lung transplant coordinator position.  She loved her work. 

She loved her family, she was the best aunt to her nieces and nephew, she loved her friends, if you were in her circle, you were gold, she loved to travel and taking cruises,  she was the family story teller and scrapbooker, she took photos, lots or photos, she is the one that brought the silly hats, glasses and deelyboppers for all the occasions, she also had her faith, which had helped her immensly at the times she needed it most.

Her sister is expecting her second child, this one will be a boy.  She had already bought the Christening gown and had matching outfits bought for all the little ones to get pictures taken in, plus the first Halloween, first Thanksgiving and first Christmas clothes for the new boy.  She always was planning ahead.

We found a notebook that had her grocery list, clothes she was going to order, and some other things in there, always the planner.

This young woman, not quite 39, lived her life to the fullest, perhaps not knowing when her freedom of being on dialysis might end, perhaps she knew her time was short.  But she really lived!

The line at her wake just never ended until an hour after the published time.  So many lives she had touched, friends flew in, family they had just seen from out of state, family that hadn't seen her for some time, Co workers from 10 years ago to present, doctors, nurses.  Her parents received a letter from a former patient of hers that spoke glowingly of what a wonderful person she had been, made them feel comfortable and never talked down to them.

My sister and husband of course were shell chocked at first, but the more they saw how much their daughter had impacked others, they were consoled.  The out pouring of love for their daughter blew them away.

They were always so thankful to the donors for their daughter life, but really, we the donors were the lucky ones.  We got to see a person grow and become someone that faced adversity and made the most out of it. 

At the funeral ceramony, the lights when out for a second, no storm mind you, I turned to my husband and said "she is here".  The priest mentioned the same thing and many others did also later.  From that moment, I decided not to be sad anymore, but to be joyful and celebrate as that is what she would have wanted all of us to be.

I did read a good saying, "sometimes a memory falls out of my eye and falls down my face" but no more sadness.

I needed to share with you other donors as only you will know the feelings I am having.  Thank you for reading this.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2013, 08:09:10 PM by dodger »
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Nancy

• Top 50 poster!
Re: My niece recipient died........
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2013, 08:45:19 PM »
Thank you for sharing.  Your post was a beautiful tribute to your niece/recipient.  I don't think you will ever stop celebrating her life.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2013, 08:55:03 PM »
So very sorry for your loss. My sympathies go out to you and your family. Your niece sounds like a wonderful person who contributed a lot to this world in such a short lifetime.
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2013, 09:51:59 PM »
May her memory be for a blessing and bring you much comfort. Thank you for sharing a small piece of a young woman's short but inspirational life.

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline elephant

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2013, 07:45:13 AM »
Dear dodger,

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved niece.  Thanks for telling us her story.  I'm glad she had the opportunity to do so many good things. 

May her memory be eternal.

Love, elephant

Offline dave

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2013, 08:21:41 AM »
I am sorry to hear about your loss.  Your niece sounds like a truly amazing person, someone who will be remembered fondly long after she is gone.  It must be gratifying to know that you played an important role in extending and enhancing her life.
Donated left kidney to Dad, June 20, 2013.

Offline sally

• Top 100 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2013, 01:59:13 PM »
Dear Dodger,
I am so sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds as though your gift to your niece allowed her to help many other people during her life. What a way to pay it forward. My transplant coordinator was an angel and a god send through the whole process & she shared with me numerous times how meaningful her work was.  Your niece probably touched more lives than anyone will ever know.  Hugs & peace to you.

Offline Snoopy

• Top 10 Poster!
  • Non-directed donation, Oct., 2011
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2013, 04:17:47 PM »
Oh, Dodger, I am so sorry to hear about your niece's passing.  I can't begin to imagine what a blow this is to you and your whole family.  Of course, as was already said, your gift helped her to do so much good with the time she had on earth.  May you and the family get through this.
   Snoopy

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 07:01:43 PM »
Sorry to hear of your loss. You did a great thing for her.
       Fr. Pat

Offline dodger

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 09:57:29 PM »
Thank you to everyone, even those that didn't respond, you read my tribute and that I thank you for.

Her sister is due to have their baby boy on Wed, pray all goes well.

There will be lots of firsts for her family this coming year.

Again, I feel we as donors are the lucky ones.  I would do it again if I could, maybe when I go to our Heavenly Father, I will be able to help someone with what ever gift I can still offer.
Donated 3/10/11 to my niece at UW Madison, Wi

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2013, 07:30:17 AM »
Thank you for sharing her story. She was fortunate to be so loved.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2013, 10:13:33 PM »
Best wishes. Thank you, so much, for sharing your touching description of all her good work, made possible by you and her first donor. Take care.
Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline jatopa

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 05:41:35 PM »
What a touching and beautiful tribute to your niece.  I feel as if I have met her from your vivid description.  So sorry for your loss.

Offline Jewels

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2013, 05:35:17 PM »
Dear Dodger,
So sorry for your loss.  Your tribute is so beautifully written, thank you for sharing with us. Take care,
Julie
Living Kidney Donor, to my adopted sister
July 15, 2011

Offline ashlee1313

• Top 200 Poster!
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2013, 04:32:15 PM »
I'm so sorry to hear of your loss, dodger.  It sounds like your niece was a wonderful and inspiring woman.  I'm glad to hear that she lived life to the fullest and with great passion.  I couldn't help but to tear up while reading your/her story.  I really lost it when you said that her donors were the lucky ones to get to watch her grow into the woman she became because that's true for all of us donors.  I'm glad you were able to get some closure by seeing just how many people she had a positive impact on.  My heart goes out to you and your family.  <3

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved