| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Latest Sterling Outrage Victim? Kidneys  (Read 2619 times)

Offline Clark

• Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Please give the gift of life!
    • Living Donors Online!
Latest Sterling Outrage Victim? Kidneys
« on: May 02, 2014, 10:43:29 AM »
http://www.bloombergview.com/articles/2014-04-30/latest-sterling-outrage-victim-kidneys

Latest Sterling Outrage Victim? Kidneys
By Virginia Postrel

This summer presents the perfect opportunity for the NBA to embrace kidney disease as a cause. On August 8, Alonzo Mourning will be inducted into the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame. NBA fans know him as a defensive great and long-time center for the Miami Heat. He is also one of the country’s most famous kidney transplant recipients. His cousin Jason Cooper, who gave him the kidney, will be with him for the honors. Sports reporters will undoubtedly tell their story again. The league has a chance to add a new chapter.

Unrelated directed kidney donor in 2003, recipient and I both well.
620 time blood and platelet donor since 1976 and still giving!
Elected to the OPTN/UNOS Boards of Directors & Executive, Kidney Transplantation, and Ad Hoc Public Solicitation of Organ Donors Committees, 2005-2011
Proud grandpa!

Offline JamesD

• Top 100 Poster!
  • I'm new!
Re: Latest Sterling Outrage Victim? Kidneys
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 09:27:59 PM »

Ucla are fools to turn this money down. I know Dr. Ira Kurtz the head of the program personally. He is a fine man who does great work and could take 5x the money of he wanted by going five miles down the road to cedar Sinai . He doesn't because he really believes he can make a breakthrough for all of us. . I also know the sterlings veryvery well. I have for twenty years. The media portrayal of them is as big a tragedy as the 3 million being refused . This type of political correctness when lives are at stake is madness.   

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved