| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: serious questions- I want to donate  (Read 5266 times)

Offline willing87

• My first post!
  • I'm new!
serious questions- I want to donate
« on: June 10, 2015, 02:58:41 AM »
Hello-
My name is Joe. I am a healthy 27 year old male that is interested in donating my spare kidney. I have been contemplating this action for a long time, and am decided that I want to give the gift of life to someone I do not know. I have reviewed in depth the risks and procedures involved in being a living donor, and am prepared to take the risk in order to save another.

My big question is how do I actually go about putting my plan to action? Is there a number I can call in order to find a recipient and undergo testing? All of the resources I have reviewed do not have any real contact information for how to get started. I really want to do this, so if anyone could please contact me for some guidance, I would appreciate it greatly! [redacted] Thank you all for letting me ask such a silly question and allowing me on your board!
« Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:18:03 PM by Clark »

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: serious questions- I want to donate
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2015, 05:29:24 AM »
     One method is to donate through the Kidney Registry (www.kidneyregistry.org). They would match you with a recipient who has a willing but incompatible donor. You donate to that patient, and then the incompatible donor donates to someone else selected by the Registry. Again the "someone else" is another patient with a willing but incompatible donor. Ans so on down the line. Each patient receives a kidney fro a stranger and then passes on a kidney to the next patient. Some of these "chains" have produced a dozen transplants, but ONE non-directed donor (who gives but does not receive) is needed to start the chain.
      best wishes,
   Fr. Pat

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2015, 06:59:49 PM »
Joe buddy, I sent you an email!

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 03:36:42 AM »
Dear Joe,
     If you would prefer to donate to a known individual rather than through the Registry, you might want to look at
www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
          Fr. Pat

Offline KidneyHelpPLEASE

• Top 50 poster!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2015, 11:31:08 AM »

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2015, 09:50:21 PM »
Dear Joe,
     If you would prefer to donate to a known individual rather than through the Registry, you might want to look at
www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
          Fr. Pat

Thank you for thinking of Jenna.
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved