| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Setting the Date for Non-Directed Donation?  (Read 2661 times)

Offline shoopies

• Top 200 Poster!
Setting the Date for Non-Directed Donation?
« on: May 05, 2013, 08:38:32 PM »
Hi everyone. So I am doing non-directed donation in June. Got final approval in April. Right now my hospital is in the process of deciding the match (or more, if it's a chain) and I have told them that I would need to do the surgery during a 2 week span in June. My question is this - once your surgery was set, did anyone have a date change due to illness or something else? My parents are traveling to take care of me afterwards and I'd hate for them to come all the way, spend money on travel, and then have everything moved by a week. I know sometimes things just happen and it can't be controlled. Just curious as to other people's experiences.

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
Re: Setting the Date for Non-Directed Donation?
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2013, 07:18:56 PM »
     I myself did not have any change in the schedule for my donation surgery (11 years ago), but it certainly CAN happen, so it is wise to have back-up plans ready. Both the donor and the recipient must be in sufficient health at the time of the surgery, so even a temporary problems (e.g. flu) can cause a postponement. And if it is a simultaneus multiple transplant a problem with any of the parts of the "chain" might cause a delay. It is also possible that an emergency situation can arise suddenly (e.g. multiple victim car crash) causing all postponable surgeries in a particular hospital to be cancelled beacuse all the operating room are filled. I don't really know just how frequent postponements of donation surgery are, but it is prudent to keep the possibility in mind.
  best wishes,
       Fr. Pat

Subscribe in a reader

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved