| LDO Home | General | Kidney | Liver | Marrow | Experiences | Buddies | Hall of Fame | Calendar | Contact Us |

Author Topic: Living the life of luxury from Marlburg.  (Read 13108 times)

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Living the life of luxury from Marlburg.
« on: June 21, 2011, 08:11:01 AM »
Donation went really well. Slept most of the day and am very peaceful. Hard to type with an IV.

Pain is not awful, mostly muscular. JH has heat packs to put on your body. Going to try walking soon.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline ohtobeahayes

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Living the life of luxury from Marlburg.
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 08:46:48 AM »
YAY! Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Keep us updated! Good luck on your walk...maybe you've walked by now.  Good work! Your awesome body is doing so much work right now. Incredible! Way to go!
Nicki
Be the change!
Nicki

Offline sherri

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »
Welcome to the club! You did it! So happy that everything worked out. Now just be good to yourself and enjoy Marburg. Would you like a visitor this afternoon?

Sherri
Sherri
Living Kidney Donor 11/12/07

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 10:05:42 AM »
YEAH!  So glad things went well and you're doing good.  Marburg is nice, isn't it?!  Enjoy the menu, the service, etc.  You'll have to let me know if you have Christie or Dan for your nurse.  I think Christie is off duty right now but she was my main day nurse.  Dan was my night nurse.  They took good care of me and helped me to have a nice stay.  If you see them, tell them Jocelyn says hi!   ;D

If you're already feeling pretty good, when you get up and get walking you'll feel great.  At first it is painful and slow going, but it gets better.  And you get to see a nice view of the "old" hospital building that is so beautiful from the doors at the end of the hall.

P.S. The Italian Ice was great!  I kept ordering the mango one!
Donated left kidney on 6/6/11 to a recipient I found on LDO
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Christine Robinson

• Top 100 Poster!
    • Beside the Quiet Voices
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
Congratulations to you and your recipient!

Best of luck in the healing process.  Please keep an eye on your WHOLE self as you move along in your recovery and let your docs or coordinators know if you notice anything strange.

I hate to sound like a broken record here, but my biggest (only) challenge post-donation was a hormonal shift that put me in a depressive funk within a few weeks.  I've had to take meds ever since, but I wouldn't undo the donation for that reason.  My point, sometimes things happen, so be aware and take good care of yourself.

And congratulations, again.  Prepare to do a lot of sleeping over the next few weeks.  (That was THE BEST.  The only time in my life I've ever been able to nap during the day.  Exquisite!)

Christine

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
Re: Living the life of luxury from Marburg.
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2011, 04:17:46 PM »
I walked to the gift shop and back. The soreness is setting in and I can feel where they took the kidney out. I have snacked, read, slept and walked.

Visitors are always welcome.
Bridge Paired Exchange donor on behalf of my husband (re-transplant) at Johns Hopkins.

Offline Orchidlady

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2011, 05:05:08 PM »
Congratulations! Take it easy and enjoy a well earned recovery!
Donated Left Kidney to Husband 10/30/07
Barnes Jewish Hospital
St. Louis, MO

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2011, 06:00:26 PM »
You walked to the gift shop by the main entrance?  I'm impressed.  I walked halfway down the hall on the day after surgery.  Got up and walked a few times that day but always short little jaunts.  Take it easy and try not to overdue.  Sounds like you are doing well.  I'm so happy to hear that.  Keep us posted.  We're praying for a full recovery for you!
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Fr Pat

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2011, 06:58:52 PM »
Congratulations to you both!
   Fr. Pat

Offline Karol

• Advocate for patients and organ donors
  • Administrator
  • Top 10 Poster!
  • Jenna after a day at Disneyland
    • Kidney For Jenna
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2011, 08:34:51 PM »
 :) Yay! Good to hear from you! Congrats!
Daughter Jenna is 31 years old and was on dialysis.
7/17 She received a kidney from a living donor.
Please email us: kidney4jenna@gmail.com
Facebook for Jenna: https://www.facebook.com/WantedKidneyDonor
~ We are forever grateful to her 1st donor Patrice, who gave her 7 years of health and freedom

Offline Aries7

• Top 10 Poster!
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2011, 10:25:59 PM »
Welcome to the club! I am so glad to hear that you are doing so well. Congratulations to you and your recipient!

Linda
Linda
Donated left kidney to Husband
October 8, 2009 at UW Madison

Offline lawphi

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2011, 09:42:11 PM »
Busted out today. It was very nice being in Marburg compared to a normal floor. We are staying in Fells Point until Tuesday.

Took a shower today at the hotel. That felt wonderful. I discovered a lead under my chest. I have random tape marks that I will have to work on in the shower.

I expected a lot more in terms of pain.  The naps are great.   My arms hurt more from heparin shots than my main incision. I also weigh eight pounds more in fluids that my kidney will work out.

Offline jstx

• Top 25 Poster!
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2011, 10:15:42 PM »
YEAH!  Been wondering how you were doing today.  Congrats on getting out....the tape stuff is crazy.  I've still got some that I'm having to work on in the shower.  Feels like I'm rubbing skin off with it.  Did you get your drain removed?  I had to go home with it and that was a pain to carry around and empty twice a day...icky!  Not to mention the removal of it.  I did not like that...it was much longer than I was expecting.

I was about to write you to tell you you could go visit my recipient.  He was put back in the hospital because some of his levels were too high when they did his bloodwork yesterday.  :( They are trying to determine if his body is attempting to reject the kidney or if they just need to alter his meds.  I am praying it is just the meds and not a rejection.  We are waiting to hear the results of the double biopsy they did on him and poor "little lefty" today.   :'(

So glad to hear things are going well for you.
Johns Hopkins Hospital
Baltimore, MD

Offline Scott337

• Top 25 Poster!
  • You may never know the burdens others carry
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2011, 10:32:14 PM »
Congratulations to you and your recipient - You ARE someone's hero!  Welcome to the one kidney club. Please take care of yourself and don't push too hard.  Rest, but exercise.  Thanks for your selfless act of giving your recipient the gift of life.

Love, prayers and best wishes for a speedy and excellent recovery. 

Scott 8)
Scott

Offline PhilHoover

• Top 25 Poster!
My advice...
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2011, 05:36:58 AM »
Follow all of the post-surgical instructions TO THE LETTER...

Take naps, drink LOTS Of water...and take those stool softeners....your very best friend.
Donated to a former college professor, October 28, 2009. Would do it again in a nanosecond.

Copyright © International Association of Living Organ Donors, Inc. All Rights Reserved
traditional